Friday, December 19, 2008

Holiday Cookie Recipe

It makes me sad that the holiday has become so commercialized and is geared so much toward children. I wish to highly recommend a tradition that was alive for many years in my own family until she moved away. My older sister bakes cookies every year and was one of the inspirations for my foray into culinary school.

So, yearly I was allowed to help bake and decorate stockings, Santa’s, present and other cookie cut outs, which I remember fondly (oh, yeah and I always got to lick the beaters!) as we played with colored frosting and sugar. So you can imagine my delight when she actually agreed to part with her recipe! I nearly died. Then she said I could share with you! So here it is:

Carrie’s Sugar Cookies

Preheat oven to 375 F

2/3 c butter
¾ c sugar
1 egg
4 tsp milk
½ tsp vanilla
½ tsp grated orange peel
2 c flour
1½ tsp baking powder

Thoroughly cream butter, sugar, orange peel & vanilla. Add egg; beat fluffy. Stir in milk. Sift dry ingredients; stir in.
Chill at least one hour, though two is best.
On a floured surface roll ½ the dough to 1/8” thickness, cutout with cookie cutters. Chill remaining dough until ready to use. Place on ungreased cookie sheet, making sure they are not touching. Bake 6-8 minutes until light brown.

Frost as desired.

You have to promise that you will make these with your kids, your favorite niece or nephew, maybe just your not so little younger siblings. The memories you create will be the best treasures of the holiday.

On That note, happy Christmas, Solistice, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Yule Holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Please feel free to share your thoughts!