Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Strawberry Cupcakes!

I was one of the lucky people to asked to participate in the Cupcake Crawl hosted by @TheGourmetGirl! This was a real honor for me, so I went all out. You may laugh, but as a pastry chef, I a cupcake novice, so I have really just gotten started the last few months on creating some.

My choice for the Crawl:

Strawberry Cupcakes w/Strawberry Liqueur Frosting!

The strawberry liqueur was a tester given to me by Lisa over at Loft Liqueurs, which I have been saving for a worthy cupcake.



For the Cupcakes, you will need:

1/2 c soft butter
3/4 c vanilla sugar
3 large eggs
1 c pastry flour (I used Arrowhead Mills)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 c cream
1/2 c chopped or crushed fresh strawberries mixed with 1 tbsp sugar (just to coat)
2 tsp Strawberry Liqueur



Preheat oven to 325 F. Line a cupcake pan with 12 liners.

Cream Butter and sugar until light, add eggs, cream and liqueur. It will look a bit curdled, but its not. Sift your dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in your berries and make sure there is not flour left on the side of the bowl.

DO NOT OVERMIX! This is the danger, flat cupcakes. It takes a light hand and like muffins, its okay if the batter is not totally smooth.

I put one scoop of batter into each liner, if you have left over, you can make more cupcakes! Bake about 12 minutes. Wait patiently while the smell floats across your kitchen and makes you salivate. Pop out of oven and cool, while you make your frosting!



I love my mom's frosting. I have never been much of a cake eater as I am really anti-frosting. My mom's is the most basic and simple recipe and I know that there are a million other mom's out there who make the same one, having like minded children.

Strawberry Liqueur Frosting:
1 stick soft butter
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
3 tbsp Loft Organic Strawberry Liqueur

Whisk until you get the desired constistancy. I love it its a bit runny. Spread on your cupcakes, top with a fresh strawberry and enjoy!



Check out Gourmet Girl Magazine!

Gourmetgirlmagazine.com's Official Blog: Kitchen Rap

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful addition to our Virtual Cupcake Crawl. Tomorrow I make your entry.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Please feel free to share your thoughts!