Monday, June 28, 2010

Pigs in a what now?

If you look up “grew up under a rock” in the dictionary, you will find a picture of my boyfriend. He didn’t watch Disney movies as a kid, hated mac and cheese and has never had a pig in a blanket.


Me: You’ve never had pigs in a blanket?!

Him: I just said no! (huffily)

Me: Geez, you really did grow up under a rock. Your mom is weird.

So I made some special, just for him.



My favorite biscuit book of all time is Biscuit Bliss by James Villas.  Biscuit Bliss: 101 Foolproof Recipes for Fresh and Fluffy Biscuits in Just Minutes



I discovered this wonderful writer when I read an article he did on absinthe. The book was a loan from my soul mother and it didn’t get returned before she passed on, so the book is extra special to me.

Even though I use it a lot, it actually still looks pretty new. Well, on the outside anyway!

I made the Traditional Baking Powder biscuits and added poppy seeds, pepper and a bit of hot mustard powder to the dough for a little something extra. I served with salad, crispy potatoes and grainy mustard on the side.



Traditional Baking Powder Biscuits

2 c all purpose flour

1 tbsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

¼ c chilled vegetable shortening

¾ to 1 c whole milk

1 tsp each poppy seeds, pepper and hot mustard powder (optional)


Preheat oven to 425 F.

In a large mixing bowl whisk dry ingredients together. Add shortening and cut in with your hands or a fork. The mixture should appear mealy. Gradually add milk using your fork until sticky. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface, knead and pat out to desired thickness.

Cut into squares and then triangles. Roll hot dogs into dough and bake for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Please feel free to share your thoughts!