Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What I learned in my Beer pairing class

If you have a chance to take a beer pairing class, or attend a beer pairing dinner, I highly recommend it. The class was taught by Bruce Paton, aka the Beer Chef and Craig Wathen of City Beer Store.


So what did I learn?


Tasting beer:

*Involve the senses
*start with a 2 oz pour, hold to light, swirl to open and smell
*roll over the tongue
*what is the after taste?

Pairing:

*Taste
*think about the flavor, what would go best with it?
*compliment, contrast & cut (when the taste buds are assaulted)

I learned about barrel aging, craft brewing, smoked beer and session beer

I am excited to learn more about beer pairing and cooking with beer. Be on the lookout for more on beer as I discover new and fabulous brews!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Please feel free to share your thoughts!